Jdreioe

Unreliable middle-button

As title states, my Swiftpoint Z's middle button is very unreliable when clicking. Is this a common issue?

The middle button is also a bit loose.

Posted (edited)

I have been having this issue for a few weeks as well and came here to see if anyone else had a solution before I contacted support. I looked into the help, and I found a solution that is helpful at least. According to these two pages:

https://support.swiftpoint.com/portal/kb/articles/pushing-the-scroll-wheel-to-the-right-activates-a-button-but-to-the-left-does-not

https://support.swiftpoint.com/portal/kb/articles/one-of-the-buttons-on-my-z-is-not-working

I used the knowledge from the first page to press right on the button, hoping that would knock it back on its axis, while on the button test profile from the second link. I went from not getting any acknowledgment of the presses to the OLED screen registering my middle mouse clicks every time. When I went back to Chrome to test, it looks like it's working at 100% again... for now. Certainly more reliably than I've seen in ages. Try messing around with those steps and seeing if it helps you as well.

Edited by artorias
Updated testing

15 hours ago, Jdreioe said:

As title states, my Swiftpoint Z's middle button is very unreliable when clicking. Is this a common issue?

The middle button is also a bit loose.

If you mean the scroll wheel, then yes. It has very poor quality control, and is made extremely bad.

Clicking feels like it will brake anytime and i have loads of loose space between scroll steps. I can rotate it 20 degrees angle freely till next step kicks in and you get that tactile feel, and i feel like it can give up.

I have two Z mice and they both act the same. 

Having in mind quality control- plastic is the lowest grade, rubbers on sides fell off after a month and mWheel- omg, cheapest 10€ mouse has godlike scroll wheel compared to this...

If you consider Swiftpoint next time, have in mind that they do not update Z mouse (hardware or software), even tho i find the technology superior and ahead of time by 10 years to any mouse on the market.  That is the only thing to stick to it... But... they are milking "point" mice which are the same mouse with different name and color.

Interesting experience! :)

I have had way more of these mice but talking about quality control Z had the worst of them. As for the gaming mouse, there are literally no competition for Z, every mice are just 20 years old model and technology. So i guess it's personal choice.

I agree on that, i will not buy another Swiftpoint product, unless there are improvements.

My middle button just stopped working yesterday, I can hear the clicking, but it doesn't register the click.

I've contacted support.

I think it's the dust that caught the micro switch,

I added a metal cover very early to prevent dust from entering, and now they work very well.

My middle mouse button just stopped working. I my triggers when I deep click greater than 50-60% (according to OLED display).

Support did reply quite quickly suggesting using OLED to see if it triggers.

Just awaiting next steps.

Sorry for not commenting on this sooner. I believe I've spoken with most users in this thread already via our support desk. But for those who haven't contacted support directly yet, that is the best channel for these kinds of issues.

But to address this in a general sense. These issues are not due to poor quality control or cheap parts. You'll find the switch we use in a lot of other high end mice, and you'll also find the same issues occurring with most mice to varying degrees. As pocat suggested the problem is caused by dust or debris working their way inside the switch and blocking the contact. 

Recently I've been showing users who encounter this problem how they can resolve it by opening and cleaning the switch. So far the results have been positive But I'd like to continue gathering feedback before posting the instructions publicly. So if you are having this issue please submit a ticket and we will help you resolve it.

Sorry but I have to charm in. I am also very puzzled and getting more and more annoyed about the issues with the middle mouse button.

For over a week now I have my second case where the mouse button is not working correctly.
My first Swiftpoint Z middle mouse stopped working completely. I was very happy about getting a replacement mouse at the end of February 2020.
But with the new one, which is not even 3 months old, I ran into the same issue as Jdreioe described. Sometimes it works and then it doesn't.

Why is the issue with the dust not being addressed by providing a fix from factory?
Why do we have to fix it by finding some weird workaround with adding plastic shields or tape on top of the switch?

This is totally my personal experience but in >20 years I NEVER had similar issues with any other mice.

I love this mouse (except some improvements, that I already shared in my previous ticket) and this is why this is so frustrating for me that I have had to deal with this issue twice now.

• Like 1

For anyone having trouble with the middle click, I want to suggest adding the default middle button mapping to any profiles you have that currently refer to the global setting.

I suspect there is a software problem with the profiles not inheriting the mapping from global, and causing middle mouse to stop responding to input. It's weird and I don't understand it. But something to try before dissembling the switch itself.

Bryce supplied the cleaning instructions to me and it worked. Not had any issues at all and indeed there was a minute fleck of hair on top of the switch at the bottom.

@eeeeb We are addressing the issue with the factory, but that will only come into effect for new builds. As all current stock is of the original design.

@Cyglade I agree that before attempting any kind of repairs, ruling out the possibility of a software/configuration issue is important. But at this stage we don't think there is a problem with the inheritance system. Since in a lot of cases mouse buttons 1-5 are all inherited from global, but it's only mouse button 3 that people are having problems with.

Also using the OLED screen set to display force values will confirm if there is a hardware issue. As the displayed button names and force values work independently of the driver or mouse configuration.

When will the factory address this? I just ordered this mouse today and now i'm a bit concerned. When an administrator suggests opening the mouse to clean it, I wonder will they honor the warranty after doing so.

Thank you, Bruce for your fast customer service. Got a replacement mouse free of cost. Can REALLY recommend the Swiftpoint Customer Service if you're having any problems :) 

10 hours ago, TexasBoy said:

When will the factory address this? I just ordered this mouse today and now i'm a bit concerned. When an administrator suggests opening the mouse to clean it, I wonder will they honor the warranty after doing so.

Probably in the next model (but if you have the issue, contact customer support. They will be happy to help :D )

Edited by Jdreioe