PITCH, ROLL, and YAW.

That's it. That's all I want. That's all I need.

Right now roll and pitch are called tilt. This is extremely confusing and frustrating, specially when you are playing any sort of flying game.

After HOURS I finally found the 'yaw' capability... or maybe I didn't?!? I don't know. It's extremely confusing the way the UI is set up. So where is 'YAW'?

OPTION 1: You take a button, add an input and then change that input to be an analog pivot. facepalm. again... pivot... not yaw...

1603592799.thumb.png.cd852f96c2717952b3fe95daad34ebb4.png

OPTION 2: Even worst.... I found the 'yaw' as a replacement for pitch / roll. facepalm, but now it's named 'rotate'... sigh

1603569468.thumb.png.cd5196513bdc9a2ce30797f241d083e9.png

This is all extremely frustrating and non sensical. Please, I'm begging you. Stick to the conventions:

1603568208.png.84e4adf8dc7f36ae6b5dd38e4506a8a4.png

This terminology is exactly how a player would find it within the game. It makes life simpler. Also, why can't you guys simply have the three options (PITCH|ROLL|YAW) on the main page? Idk, something like this:

1603592457.thumb.png.905a95657e302609dea739893d91f8fe.png

Finally, even though I have found 2 options for YAW neither of them work as expected / intended. What am I looking for?

• ROLL LEFT
  • ROLL RIGHT
  • PITCH UP
  • PITCH DOWN
  • YAW LEFT
  • YAW RIGHT

I've found 4 more posts like mine. People are completely lost with the naming convention + hidden yaw controls.

As it stands right now. I cannot find / properly configure the yaw. It should work like the pitch and roll. Heck, I even see that the OLED screen has the proper naming conventions (Roll|Pitch|Yaw), but it's not used anywhere else.

Finally, if anyone knows how to configure the Yaw on this mouse, please.... let me know. 😢 It should work the same as roll & pitch.

TL:DR: Please follow the naming conventions and allow us to easily configure yaw.

Edited by untag

The OLED screen is the only place that has the proper naming conventions (Roll|Pitch|Yaw), but the mouse it self cannot be configured to use YAW. 🤔😒

If anyone knows how to configure the Yaw on this mouse, please.... let me know.

Well the naming makes sense, since both is right, yaw is a pivot-motion, and roll and pitch are tilting motions, so it is easier for people not that familiar with those terms.
and having to assign a button for yaw/pivot kinda makes sense, since you should use it as a reset(because it is nearly impossible to keep the mouse in a 0° pivot all the time)

Edited by Zeanon
6 hours ago, Zeanon said:

and having to assign a button for yaw/pivot kinda makes sense, since you should use it as a reset(because it is nearly impossible to keep the mouse in a 0° pivot all the time)

I understand it would be difficult to reset to 0°, but at least they could make it relative with some sort of threshold setting. If Y varies above the threshold then do the action.

Looks like what I'm looking for is called 6° of freedom. Apparently, it's not a thing anywhere. Except for this prototype: 

Maybe this dev team here would want to try to make some sort of attachment / contraption... something similar to this (video) perhaps?... idk.

But at least I know I'm right in the rest. Having a distinct word for each movement type REALLY helps. Specially when the game does not support the mouse.

Edited by untag

On kickstarter there is a project for a 6dof Joystick

But rn I think the backing cost to receive one is around 1000$

Another way of getting 6dof is head tracking or as HoSaS setup.

With only one device it is extremely difficult (obviously) and the Z still is a mouse and not a Joystick.

Last but not least I get your problem with the naming(kind of) but if you just think for 10 seconds when assigning stuff it's not really a problem, at least I haven't had a problem with associating tilt left right with roll or tilt forward backwards with pitch.

40 minutes ago, Zeanon said:

the Z still is a mouse and not a Joystick.

I guess all the promo got to me:

1603722712.thumb.png.15ee4ee5e05ef7403791a298c4021f21.png

With only one device it is extremely difficult (obviously)

Yeah, I understand it now.. but when I first wrote this post it made no sense. 

40 minutes ago, Zeanon said:

Last but not least I get your problem with the naming(kind of) but if you just think for 10 seconds when assigning stuff it's not really a problem, at least I haven't had a problem with associating tilt left right with roll or tilt forward backwards with pitch.

Mmmmmm.... gotcha. Nevertheless, pitch & roll are commonly accepted & distinctive terms for specific actions that the mouse can perform. It simplifies things. Calling them both 'tilt' generates confusion... hence this post. Also remember 'english' is not the main language for the entire world so when someone googles 'tilt meaning' it's not really descriptive. In contrast, if they can google 'pitch meaning' and 'roll meaning' they will easily find the answer. On top of that... they will 100% see the same pitch / roll / yaw image I've posted which makes things crystal clear for everyone regardless of their dominion over the English language.

I might try a dual joystick setup. I'm guessing a joystick on my left hand + the swiftpointZ on my right hand might do the trick... or not... who knows...

TL;DR : We have pitch and roll, but not yaw (we kinda do, but it's not analog and it needs to be reset).

Edited by untag

The Z does joystick emulation, but it's still a mouse first.  I haven't used it as a joystick, I've got better gear for that ;)

I think the terms they chose were for primary mouse users rather than joystick users.  It doesn't bother me because I think of the Z as a mouse rather than a joystick.

In any case, Swiftpoint is coming out with new software for the Z (and Tracer) soon, so this would be the right time to suggest a naming convention change.

Added:  There is also another 6DOF device called the SpaceMouse.  I don't have one myself, but I've heard it's difficult to get working in games (it's intended as a CAD tool).

Edited by Demonspawn