Sign in to follow this  
RickFox

Does support ever answer?

I don't like getting 'stroppy' and I'm sorry to feel that I have to do so, but I've waited ten days now for support to reply to my emails about my two most pressing issues. There is a limited time for me to return this mouse for a refund and it's almost up.

Is anybody there???

My posts here about the issues haven't been answered by support either. I've paid a lot of money for a mouse with software that cannot even recognise my UK standard keyboard layout properly. That's rather poor, to say the least, for something so trivial these days. I also have to unplug the mouse so that my most often used PC can even start to POST. Maybe I'm missing something or doing something wrong, but I don't think so (I've worked in IT for decades) and without any help from tech support I'll never know. It makes me wonder about what other issues might crop up, and what support there will be if so.

Not even acknowledging receipt of support emails after this length of time is rude and unprofessional. I do not treat my customers like that, even when they are wrong.

I really want to love this mouse. Everything about it, on the face of it, is inspired and absolutely wonderful. But if it can't even work properly on a UK system then it's not fit for purpose.

Edited by RickFox

Hi @RickFox,

I apologize for the lack of response. Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to check in here for some time. But I am working through all of the support queries received via email and sent you a response regarding the keyboard layout and and POST issues you raised several days ago. Did you not receive this message?

Just in case you did not I'll include its contents again below.

On the first issue you raised regarding problems with your system booting while the Z is connected. This is something we have encountered before with early versions of the Z's firmware, but recent versions had resolved it (or so we thought).

Since you are still having this issue presumably on the latest firmware this might not help. But in those previous cases before we updated the firmware some users  had success resolving the issue by disabling the BIOS option " Legacy   USB   Support".

If this doesn't help, as another test can you try performing a clear and reset of your Z's settings in the driver (make sure to backup you profiles to a file first), then restarting your PC to see if the issue is present while your Z is running the default firmware settings?

Regarding your other issue with keyboard layouts this is due to the fact that the Z operates as a QWERTY device, and windows does not support multiple devices with different keyboard layouts correctly. 

Hopefully we can add other keyboard layout options for the Z in a firmware or driver update. But for now the only solution is to keep the conversion in mind when you are setting up your mappings.

The lines of text below will help with this. Just lookup the key you want to output in the UK line, then instead output the key from the US line below it if it is different.

UK: `1234567890-=qwertyuiop[]#asdfghjkl;'zxcvbnm,./
US: `1234567890-=qwertyuiop[]\asdfghjkl;'zxcvbnm,./

UK + Shift: ¬!"£$%^&*()_+QWERTYUIOP{}~ASDFGHJKL:@ZXCVBNM<>?
US + Shift: [email protected]#$%^&*()_+QWERTYUIOP{}|ASDFGHJKL:"ZXCVBNM<>?
US:         `1234567890-=qwertyuiop[]\asdfghjkl;'zxcvbnm,./ 

For example if you want to output the ¬ key, you would need to instead send a "Shift + `" as in the image below. Or for # you would just need to send \ instead.

1543442851869.png.eacfc1018bef4bc360663f8c09b7a292.png

I hope this helps for the keyboard layout issue, and please let us know how you get on regarding the boot issue.

Hi Bryce,

I got the email you just sent, but not the previous one. My apologies then for accusing you of being rude; stuff happens.

Disabling Legacy USB Support was the first thing I thought of, but the BIOS on this HP PC does not have that option. First time I’ve encountered that but it makes sense because it doesn't have legacy ports.

I am on the latest firmware; the driver detected and did the updates when I installed it.

Note that I did save my settings to the mouse flash straight away when I first got it (it’s a useful/essential feature to me), so that might have triggered the no-boot issue.

Clearing the mouse did work. For a while…

I cleared the settings and loaded defaults. The PC rebooted several times without issue. Then I reloaded my saved profiles (just into the driver, not onto the mouse flash) and the PC still booted normally.

However, after connecting the mouse to another PC and then back here again, I was back to my main PC not POSTing. I did not save anything to the mouse Flash at any time but the other PC did have the driver on it with some extra profiles.

Clearing the mouse settings again did not work at first, the PC still would not POST. I unplugged the mouse and waited, allowing the capacitors to drain, then reattached it (with Windows loaded) and cleared settings again. That did the trick and my PC then booted with the mouse attached.

By the way, I’ve developed a few small embedded systems and controllers in my time, both the hardware and firmware on MCUs and FPGAs. I know the pains of troubleshooting things like this with the many variables in PCs. Good luck ;)

As to sending the mouse back, no way! If it were any other mouse I probably already would have, but this mouse is worth persevering with. It's simply fantastic what I can do with it. It reminds me of the feeling of freedom and control I got with my first 6-axis controller for 3D CAD.

Keep up the good work :)