Sign in to follow this  
Muppet

Mapping analog buttons to joystick axes

Question

Hi,

I would like to map the left, and right buttons to the Y axis (or any axis), to allow throttle/break control on driving games.

When I map the analogue of the mouse button to the joystick axis, It starts at fully negatively deflected, and I can centre it by fully depressing the button. It doesn't seem possible to map any control to map from centre to fully positively deflected.

I was hoping to get a similar effect to using the triggers on an xbox 360 controller, pressing the right trigger deflects the axis fully negatively, and the left trigger fully positively. When neither is pressed, the axis is centred.

Is there something I am missing? 

Thanks.

2 answers to this question

I'm seeing the same as you, if an axis is assigned to the deep click range we can only address the first half of that axis at the moment.   If you click "advanced" and then uncheck "mirror left and right", you have to put at least 0.2% in Max in either direction for it to accept it, but you can specify Max 0.2% left and Max 100% right and that will then do nothing other than centre the axis immediately when pressed.

Max 100% left and Max 0.2% right is exactly the same as 100% mirrored.

I've had the exact same issue, as represented in this thread: 

Binding deep clicks to Game Controller>Main Stick>Forward/Back or Left/Right would mean that the axis is pressed fully by default and pressing the deep click brings it closer and closer to the center, which is exactly the opposite of what it should do. This still can have it's uses, for example you can use it to create walk toggle. The axis is pressed fully if you have set it's range up to 100%, but if you set it lower, pressing the button will lock the axis in lower value, so it could effectively work as a walk toggle, or any speed toggle for that matter, for example setting the max range to 50% would make it effectively the same as locking the joystick in half way of your chosen direction. Example:

From what I've learned now, if you want to utilize Deep Click for analog movement, you have to use Game Controller>Slider Control. This axis will be a bit off by default as well, pressed in wrong direction, but in the opposite to Main Stick range settings, this one actually works and you can center it. For me proper value seems to be from around 29-31 to 100%. This will make it start from the center, but unfortunately it looks like loosing some of the range means that 100% press does not equal to 100% analog value, but less. This is the U Axis by the way, or Axis 5. Example of it working well, but without full range:

To get full range back, reduce Deep Click range, like that:

range.thumb.jpg.fbfb3bb6fc0865e5a1d98b2fefc6a883.jpg

Keep in mid that many games don't support full analog range and some may start react from 50% and up for example, which means if you set your Slider range from 30% to 100%, you will get a dead zone from 30 to 50%. If you want the click to react immediately, you need to find an analog value at which the game starts to react and set the minimum range just below it, effectively meaning that the stick will pressed at let's say 48% at all times, which has a side effect of game receiving analog input at all times, so in games that do not support analog+mouse at the same time you won't be able to use your mouse for camera and aim.

Though you should probably consider getting analog keyboard if you really want to utilize analog movement.

I would also recommend using VJoy + UCR rather than x360ce, it is much cleaner, easier to use and way more reliable. Here is a video I learned it from:

Edited by Thorstel