Sign in to follow this  
trentyarwood

Star Citizen 3.0

Has anyone else been playing the Star Citizen 3 PTU with their Z, and if so, are you having any problems getting it to play nicely with a joystick?

I prefer to use keyboard / mouse for the FPS elements, but fly with a joystick. Unfortunately, because windows is recognising my Z as a joystick, I can't do any flight controls with my Logitech Extreme 3D?

I've tried setting the controller mode in the Z driver to off, but the best I seem to have been able to do is get joystick freelook rather than flight controls.

Any successes?

Trent.

Wouldn't it just be a better idea to get the Z set up for 3d flight using the SC control scheme?  I have not yet figured out how to do this but when someone makes a version that works well at least as a baseline it would be a good thing to share with this community as there is clearly some overlap between the two kickstarter communities.

I just received my new Z. 

Need to get up to speed on how to configure and the new 3.0 controls.  So much to learn.

The problem with Star Citizen's way of handling the controllers comes from its Crytek roots. It doesn't really recognise them itself like games that are smarter do, it relies on the Windows controller order. Windows can sometimes change this order rather arbitarily, especially when you introduce new controllers or plug the old ones in different ports. You can check your order in "Game controller settings". I have a HOTAS, pedals and an EDTracker so I am more familiar with this issue than I would want to be. Oddly enough, Windows plonked the Z right in the middle of the list but my SC controls still work as they should. Maybe the game just doesn't detect it as a controller in my case.

Anyway, there is 2 ways to fix the problem. First way is to rebind everything in the game and pray the order doesn't change again. There is some import and export options in the game and fanmade external programs to make this easier. The second way is to change the order, but Windows doesn't make this easy. It involves unplugging the controllers, removing them from the devices and plugging them back in sequence.