Phileosophos

How can I re-parent a profile? Or import under one?

The profile features are almost where they need to be, at least to keep me happy, but the problem I regularly face is with re-using profiles across different machines. For example, I set up a profile for Ghost Recon: Breakpoint, unimaginatively named "GRB", and it's under the top-level "FPS" profile on machine number one. Now that I've tweaked it the way I like, I can export it from machine one and import it to machine two. But when I do so, it's always imported at the top-level, not under the "FPS" profile on machine two.

I suppose I could simply export ALL profiles from machine one and clear/import to machine two, but that breaks the application associations. So what I really need is some way to re-parent a profile or import my GRB profile underneath an existing one on machine two. Is there any way to do this? Thanks in advance.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Zeanon said:

You can save the parent profile with all it's child's in one file

In what world does this reply help anyone, ever?

@op: even though not alot are replying in this thread, many people waiting for an answer, keep it up!

Edited by aznsteil

On 10/8/2019 at 10:21 PM, Phileosophos said:

The profile features are almost where they need to be, at least to keep me happy, but the problem I regularly face is with re-using profiles across different machines. For example, I set up a profile for Ghost Recon: Breakpoint, unimaginatively named "GRB", and it's under the top-level "FPS" profile on machine number one. Now that I've tweaked it the way I like, I can export it from machine one and import it to machine two. But when I do so, it's always imported at the top-level, not under the "FPS" profile on machine two.

I suppose I could simply export ALL profiles from machine one and clear/import to machine two, but that breaks the application associations. So what I really need is some way to re-parent a profile or import my GRB profile underneath an existing one on machine two. Is there any way to do this? Thanks in advance.

I haven't found a way to do this, besides, as you said, re-importing the ENTIRE profile set and fixing program associations later.

It'd be nice to get this in a future software update.

It is possible but VERY clunky!  During the beta testing I requested the ability to be put in the software so that sub-profiles could be exported and then imported to a location of your choice but this has not been implemented.

At the moment you would have to export your profiles and then open the exported file (it's just text) and then copy your sub-profile to the right level that you want it and then import the new main profile.

Doing it this way it is possible to export a sub-profile, provide it to someone else or for another machine but you'd then have to export the profiles on that machine and ticker with the file to slot in your new profile.    As I said VERY clunky.

There is also a wording error in the import options - see:

As I said VERY clunky.