Thomot512

Linux drivers

Whatever you write into the internal memory of the mouse should work on Linux. I have tested this on a couple of Linux computers.

Unfortunately the configuration software (confusingly named "driver) is not available so you have to do all the configuration on another computer.

Are there any specifications available for communication protocol between a computer and Swiftpoint Z mouse? I'm going to FOSDEM next weekend and can meet with guys who develop libratbag, a framework for configuring a mouse in Linux. These guys will have a presentation at FOSDEM and they are open to adding support for new devices. All is needed for that is specification.

I just use software to capture the data transfer between driver and Z , it seem that The driver trans whole config file as some sort of codec every time, and only change the active profile index if it was changed  in the driver .

I've met with libratbag developer after his presentation at FOSEM (video of this presentation will be available in a few days at that link), and we decided to start reverse engineering protocol of Z mouse configuration.

@PureLIN: Could you please share your capture files (along with description what you were doing during the capture)? Feel free to join reverse engineering efforts.

@Bryce: Could you please publish protocol description? Looks like configuration protocol is not very difficult to reverse engineer, but by publishing its specification, you can save us significant amount of work and earn good reputation for your company as opensource-friendly (think about more sales).

But it would be even better is you publish source code of mouse's firmware: it will allow our community to develop new features (like mouse lift detection) that you have no resources to work on and earn even better reputation among developer community (and this will translate to much more sales).

@Oleg Girko Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. Unfortunately I can't help with this directly, but I have brought your requests to the rest of the team to see how we can assist with this effort.

I can't say for sure yet what this will entail; releasing the USB protocol info is a possibility. However I think it's unlikely that we will open source the firmware itself at this time.

I'd love to at least see the protocol released. I could think of a lot of things that could be done with that alone, such as Node-RED support.

@Oleg Girko If you (or anyone else) are still interested in creating Linux software for the Z,  please find the specification for the Z's raw sensor events below.

This should give you all the info you need to enable the raw outputs for all of the Z's inputs (they are disabled by default), and show you how to interpret that output. 

If you have any questions on the specifics they're likely to go over my head. But I can try to pass a few on to our devs if necessary. 

Z Raw Sensor Events Specification.pdf

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I would be interested by switching profiles automatically depending on the active window (it would be for gnome, X11 only). Would it be possible to disclose information on how to alter the current profile of the Z over USB HID?

Edited by Aurélien