EscapeControl

Making thumb buttons act as a modifier

Question

How can I make it so that when I am holding down a thumb button, it will make the other buttons on the mouse function as though they are being pressed with a modifier? i.e. If Left Trigger Pull is set to NUM5, when I hold down a thumb button it would modify Left Trigger Pull to be CTRL+ NUM5. Ideally this would be able to modify all clicks on the mouse to be CTRL+ their assigned input when the thumb button is held. I have tried using "record keystrokes" to map when the bottom thumb button is held I can press Left Trigger Pull and it will execute "CTRL press, NUM5 tap, and CTRL release". I assume with the method I have chosen I can just add all the mouse buttons to the function and eventually achieve what I want, but I don't know if this is the most efficient or smartest way to do so.

Thanks for the help,

ESC

2 answers to this question

I think I may have found what I was doing wrong to make my solution so convoluted. I think disabling adding key releases automatically made it to where I can just use the thumb button as a modifier with no additional functions needed as long as it is held.

It sounds like you're on the right track, but just to clarify for anyone else reading this. For a setup like this where you want a modifier key to effect other button presses you need to make sure that the modifier key is not released too early.

For example if you had Control set as a "Tap", you would not be able to use it to modify other buttons, as it would release itself immediately. The same thing will happen if you set the release immediately after the press.

So the standard setup is to have a press output that triggers on button press, then a release output that triggers on button release; as shown below.

image.png.cabcb7cd1f030925e64dcb06d43a8c8e.png

If you do not have the release output set, the mapping will still work most of the time. But it may sometimes get stuck down. So adding the release output is highly recommended.

When you use the record function to add a single key press it will give you the options below. Selecting "When mouse input is released" will add the release output to the correct location for you.

image.png.b1730c569a48ae6a60929ccbbf37c045.png